The international bestseller that tells how Semler tore up the rule books - and defied inflation running at up to 900% per year!
- Workers make decisions previously made by their bosses
- Managerial staff set their own salaries and bonuses
- Everyone has access to the company books
- No formality - a minimum of meetings, memos and approvals
- Internal walls torn down
- Shopfloor workers set their own productivity targets and schedules
Result - Semco is one of Latin America's fastest-growing companies, acknowledged to be the best in Brazil to work for, and with a waiting list of thousands of applicants waiting to join it.
Learn Ricardo's secrets and let some of the Semco magic rub off on you and your company.
Ricardo Semler took over his father's company, Semco (founded in 1954), at the age of 19. Not only did he turn the company round, he made it an outstanding success. On the brink of bankruptcy in 1980, Semco achieved revenues of $34 million in 1993 - and $160 million in 2000. Semler threw out the rule book: for example, workers make their own decisions; every corporate decision is put to the vote; people turn up to the meetings they want to be at. It sounds insane: but it works.