The appointment of John William Dawson as principal in 1855 brought modern ideas of education to Montreal, and he imparted to the emerging institution his own deeep commitment to science. The Molson Hall in 1862, the first Medical School on campus in 1872, the Redpath Museum in 1882, the Macdonald Physics Building, the Redpath Library, and the Macdonald-Workman Engineering Building, all in 1893 were the major external evidences of the great intellectual advances that had been made. Equally, the admission of women students in 1884 marked the immense social developments in Montreal society. An early contribution to elementary teaching through the work of the McGill Nornal School was followed by the institution of examinations for a far-flung network of affiliated secondary schools and by the encouragement and supervision of local colleges. By the time Dawson retired in 1893 McGill's influence was already reaching across the new Dominion of Canada, and the university was ready to make the transition into the twentieth century.