DescriptionEarly childhood education across the world has been influenced by the pioneering work of Maria Montessori, and this book provides a complete overview of Montessori pedagogy and practice. It considers the Montessori approach within the context of early childhood education and care, and examines it in the light of new insights from the fields of neuroscience and child development.
By helping the reader understand the influence of Montessori on contemporary early years policy and practice, the book outlines ideas relevant to all early years settings, and suggests ways for all early childhood educators to apply these ideas in practice.
The book looks in detail at:
- the Montessori story
- the child as worker and the adult as observer
- developing independence and concentration
- using the senses to build the foundations for learning
- early communication and language
- early mathematics
- cultural knowledge and understanding
- Maria Montessori, and other early childhood pioneers
Within each chapter are definitions of the key concepts of the Montessori approach, questions for reflection and discussion, activities and suggestions for further reading. This book focuses on the 3 to 6 age range.
Susan Feez is a Lecturer in the Faculty of Education at the University of New England, Armidale, Australia.
Create a review
- publication date: 17/03/2014
- ID: 9781446244111
- book language: en
- publisher: SAGE Publications
- publisher imprint: SAGE Publications Ltd
- Android Epub DRM Yes
- Ereader Epub DRM Yes
- Desktop Epub DRM Yes
- IOS Epub DRM Yes
- Windows Epub DRM Yes