Mr Atkinson's Rum Contract: The Story of a Tangled Inheritance
Richard Atkinson (Author)
Shortlisted for the RSL Christopher Bland Prize 2021 'Rarely has family history been so vivid' JENNY UGLOW 'An extraordinarily original work' AMANDA FOREMAN Like many well-to-do Georgian families, the Atkinsons' wealth was acquired at a terrible cost, through the labour and lives of enslaved Africans. Drawing on his ancestors' private correspondence, Richard Atkinson pieces together their unsettling story, from the weather-beaten house in Cumbria where they once lived to the ruins of their sugar estates in Jamaica. This extraordinarily original work of detective biography is also a uniquely personal account of one of the most disturbing chapters in Britain's colonial past.
About the Author
Richard Atkinson is a publisher who has been behind some of the most successful cookbooks of recent years. He lives in London but has a deep-rooted affection for the north of England, the land of his ancestors.
- Contributor: Richard Atkinson
- Imprint: Fourth Estate Ltd
- ISBN13: 9780007509232
- Number of Pages: 512
- Packaged Dimensions: 129x198x34mm
- Packaged Weight: 390
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
- Release Date: 2021-07-08
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Richard Atkinson is a publisher who has been behind some of the most successful cookbooks of recent years. He lives in London but has a deep-rooted affection for the north of England, the land of his ancestors.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.