Dylan Thomas's reputation precedes him. In keeping with his claim that he held 'a beast, an angel, and a madman in him', interpretations of his work have ranged from solemn adoration to exaggerated mythologising. His many voices continue to reverberate across culture and the arts: from poetry and letters, to popular music and Hollywood film. However, this wide and sometimes controversial renown has occasionally hindered serious analysis of his writing. Counterbalancing the often-misleading popular reputation, this book showcases eight new critical perspectives on Thomas's work. It is the first to provide in one volume a critical overview of the multifaceted range of his output, from the poetry, prose and correspondence to his work for wartime propaganda filmmaking, his late play for voices Under Milk Wood, and his reputation in letters and wider society. The whole proves that Thomas was much more than, to use his own dubious self-description, 'a writer of words, and nothing else'. No
About the Author
Rhian Barfoot is a Research Fellow at CREW. Her current research interests include modernist and postmodernist poetics. Kieron Smith is an Honorary Research Fellow at CREW (Centre for Research into the English Literature and Language of Wales), Swansea University.
- Contributor: Rhian Barfoot
- Imprint: University of Wales Press
- ISBN13: 9781786835208
- Number of Pages: 240
- Packaged Dimensions: 138x216mm
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: University of Wales Press
- Release Date: 2020-02-01
- Series: Writing Wales in English
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Rhian Barfoot is a Research Fellow at CREW. Her current research interests include modernist and postmodernist poetics. Kieron Smith is an Honorary Research Fellow at CREW (Centre for Research into the English Literature and Language of Wales), Swansea University.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.