No Ordinary Women: Irish Female Activists in the Revolutionary Years 1900-1923 (Revised edition)
Sinead McCoole (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 2 weeks
Updated edition with many more biographies and a new introduction by the author. Spies, snipers, couriers, gun-runners, medics, women played a major role in the fight for Ireland's freedom, risking loss of life and family for a cause to which they were totally committed. This book highlights a time when vast numbers of Irish women were politicised and imprisoned for their beliefs, with a special emphasis on one prison, Kilmainham Gaol. They came from every class in society and all walks of life: titled ladies and shop assistants, doctors, housewives, laundry workers, artists and teachers. Some were married with children, others widowed and some mere schoolchildren. These are hidden stories that vividly recreate the characters, personalities and courage of Ireland's revolutionary women. 1 Bibliography; 1 Index; 100 Halftones, black and white; 60 Halftones, color
About the Author
SINEAD MCCOOLE is a well-known historian and the author of a number of books on women and history. Sinead has also scripted a series of short films, Women of 1916, for RTE. She currently works as a historical and picture researcher, and an exhibition curator.
- Contributor: Sinead McCoole
- Imprint: O'Brien Press Ltd
- ISBN13: 9781847177896
- Number of Pages: 320
- Packaged Dimensions: 170x240x18mm
- Packaged Weight: 800
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: O'Brien Press Ltd
- Release Date: 2015-10-26
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: SINEAD MCCOOLE is a well-known historian and the author of a number of books on women and history. Sinead has also scripted a series of short films, Women of 1916, for RTE. She currently works as a historical and picture researcher, and an exhibition curator.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.