Oxford originated in the tenth century, as one of the fortified 'burghs' built during the Viking wars. The Domesday Book reveals that the first suburbs had appeared beyond the city wall by 1086. The city underwent great expansion during the Victorian period, when new suburbs appeared to house the upper middle class. However, areas around north Oxford, such as the district of high-density terraced housing known as 'Jericho', also attracted the working classes. The period of greatest expansion in south and east Oxford occurred during the twentieth century. The city boundaries changed as a number of the surrounding villages were also absorbed into the City of Oxford. Author Stanley C. Jenkins explores the many ways in which the area surrounding Oxford has developed over the years, using old and new photographs to track these exciting changes.
Stanley C. Jenkins, who was educated at Witney Grammar School, the University of Lancaster and the University of Leicester, has written over 20 books and some 750 articles on local, transport and regional history. Having worked as an English Language teacher at Oxford Air Training School for several years, he returned to Leicester University to retrain as a museum curator in 1986, and was subsequently employed by English Heritage as the Regional Curator for South Western England. He is Curatorial Advisor to the Witney & District Museum, and is also working as a curator for the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Trust, which is at present building a military museum at Woodstock.