This extensively revised and updated fourth edition of Planning in the USA continues to provide a comprehensive introduction to the policies, theory and practice of planning. Outlining land use, urban planning, and environmental protection policies, this fully illustrated book explains the nature of the planning process and the way in which policy issues are identified, defined, and approached.
This full colour edition incorporates new planning legislation and regulations at the state and federal layers of government, updated discussion on current economic issues, and examples of local ordinances in a variety of planning areas. Key updates include:
- a new chapter on planning and sustainability;
- a new discussion on the role of foundations and giving to communities;
- a discussion regarding the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans;
- a discussion on deindustrialization and shrinking cities;
- a discussion on digital billboards;
- a discussion on recent comprehensive planning efforts;
- a discussion on land banking;
- a discussion unfunded mandates;
- a discussion on community character;
- a companion website with multiple choice and fill the blank questions, and ‘test yourself’ glossary terms.
This book gives a detailed account of urbanization in the United States and reveals the problematic nature and limitations of the planning process, the fallibility of experts, and the difficulties facing policy-makers in their search for solutions. Planning in the USA is an essential book for students, planners and all who are concerned with the nature of contemporary urban and environmental problems.
Create a review
- publication date: 05/12/2013
- ID: 9781136456909
- book language: en
- publisher: Taylor and Francis
- publisher imprint: Routledge
- Android Epub DRM Yes
- Ereader Epub DRM Yes
- Desktop Epub DRM Yes
- IOS Epub DRM Yes
- Windows Epub DRM Yes