Prepare Your Child for School answers the questions every parent asks when their child is about to leave their exclusive care and go out into the world of school:
- Is my child ready for this challenge?
- Will the teacher bring out the best in my child?
- What can I do to help my child cope with the stresses, demands and expectations of school life?
- Will other children play with my child?
- Does my child know enough?
- Can my child communicate well?
- Is my child ready to learn to read and write?
Aimed both at parents of pre-school children (3 to 6 years old) and at teachers and carers, this practical book, including numerous charts, checklists, questionnaires and structured activities for developing children's skills as well as promoting their emotional well-being, will act as a blueprint for action.
Dr Valerie Muter is a clinical and research psychologist with a special interest in children's early cognitive development, particularly in relation to language and literacy. Dr Helen Likierman is a school counsellor and a clinical psychologist in private practice. She is a parent of two teenage children and so has hands-on experience as a parent. www.psykidz.co.uk.