* In Real Data, students predict the answers to interesting questions. Then they analyze data supplied by leading researchers to see if there is empirical support for their predictions.
* Students get practice in computing all the major statistics usually covered in an introductory statistics course.
* Because each of the 35 exercises in Part A deals with only a limited number of statistics, the workbook is easily coordinated with all introductory statistics textbooks.
* Part A emphasizes small data sets that are useful whether students are using calculators or computers. The exercises in this part are highly structured so students know exactly what is required of them.
* Part B provides larger data sets for comprehensive analysis by computer users. Loosely structured, the data sets allow you to specify which statistics should be computed.
* Sample topics: Kissing and Sexual Harassment; Basic Trust of Rape Survivors; Gambling and Stealing; Pregnancy Risk Among Adolescents Who Had Been Sexually Abused; Boys Interacting with Their Fathers; Racial Differences in Seeking Medical Assistance; Instructors' Clothing and Student Evaluations; Students' Attitudes Toward Math; and Physician-Assisted Suicide.
* Using real data for analysis makes the traditional statistics class come alive.
Part A: Data Sets for All Classes 1. Percentages: I What Do People Look for in Prospective Partners? A Study of Personal Ads 2. Percentages: II Have Americans Lost Their Compassion for the Homeless? 3. Proportions Assaultive Behavior of Men and Women in Intimate Relationships 4. Bar Graph for Nominal Data Is Binge Eating Related to Dieting? 5. Frequency Distribution (Ungrouped Scores) Is a Stolen Kiss a Serious Form of Sexual Harassment? 6. Frequency Distribution (Grouped Scores) Basic Trust of Rape Survivors 7. Cumulative Frequencies, Cumulative Percentages, and Percentile Ranks Reasons People Give for Depression 8. Frequency Polygon and Shapes of Distributions Are Gamblers More Likely to Steal than Non-Gamblers? 9. Mean, Median, and Shapes of Distributions Average Number of Lifetime Sexual Partners of Male College Students 10. Mean and Median Students' Part-Time Work, GPA, and Days Absent from School 11. Mean, Median, and Mode Drawing Happy Faces on Restaurant Checks: Does It Increase Tips? 12. Mean and Standard Deviation for a Population Sudden Cardiac Deaths on the Day of a Major Earthquake 13. Mean and Standard Deviation (Population Estimate from a Sample) Effects of Progressive and Sex-Object Images of Women in Advertisements 14. Standard Scores Negative Behaviors of Boys When Interacting with Their Fathers 15. Scattergram The Relationship Between Absences and GPA 16. Pearson r: I Correlates of Suicide Rates 17. Pearson r: II The Relationship Between Manic Tendencies and Eating Disorders 18. Multiple Correlation Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior and Perfectionism 19. Linear Regression Flexibility of Work Schedule as a Predictor of Parenting Ability 20. Standard Error of the Mean and 68% Confidence Interval Effects of Instructors' Clothing on College Students' Evaluations of Instruction 21. Standard Error of the Mean and 95% Confidence Interval Self-Acceptance Self-Disclosure of Bisexual Men to Their Female Partners 22. Standard Error of the Mean and 99% Confidence Interval Are Gay Men More Attached to Their Mothers or Their Fathers? 23. t Test from Descriptive Statistics for Independent Data: I Comfort in Working with Persons with Disabilities 24. t Test from Descriptive Statistics for Independent Data: II Hostile Feelings and Emotional Immaturity of Women with Histories of Incestuous Abuse 25. t Test from Raw Scores for Independent Data Future Time Orientation and Condom Use for AIDS Prevention 26. t Test for Dependent Data Are Multiple-Choice Test Items Easier than Open-Ended Items? 27. One-Way Analysis of Variance: Two Means Computer Experience and Computer Hassles 28. One-Way Analysis of Variance: Three Means College Students' Seating Choices and Motivation to Achieve 29. Significance of the Difference Between Variances Attitudes of Teachers Toward Children with Disabilities 30. Standard Error of a Percentage and 95% Confidence Interval Risk for Pregnancy Among Adolescents Who Had Been Sexually Abused 31. One-Way Chi-Square Forms of Abuse Among Adolescent Females 32. Chi-Square Test for a 2 by 2 Table Financial Concerns and Suicidal Thoughts of HIV+ Men 33. Chi-Square Test for a 2 by 4 Table Physicians' Willingness to Participate in Assisted Suicide and Their Religious Affiliations 34. Median Test Favorite Colors and Depression 35. Mann-Whitney U Test Racial Differences in Seeking Medical Assistance Part B: Larger Data Sets for Computer Users 36. Comprehensive Analysis: I Characteristics of Adolescent Male Gamblers 37. Comprehensive Analysis: II Care-Seeking for Breast Cancer Symptoms 38. Comprehensive Analysis: III Attitudes Toward Math, Math Achievement, and Expected Grades