Refugees have moved into the spotlight of public debate in Europe and North America, where they are targeted by multiple welfare state interventions. This volume analyses the tensions that emerge within the strong welfare states of Northern Europe when faced with an increased immigration of protection-seeking people. Examining the encounter between refugees and the welfare states, this book explores the daily strategies and experiences of newly settled groups and the role of media discourses and welfare policies in shaping those experiences. Building on both textual analyses and ethnographic fieldwork in welfare institutions, asylum centres, and refugee communities, this volume provides an in-depth understanding of the complex realities faced by refugees: deterrence and categorisation, struggle and success, mobility and stagnation. As social phenomena, Northern Europe's asylum systems and integration programmes must be understood in the context of the bureaucratisation of everyday life. -- . 4 black & white illustrations; 2 tables
About the Author
Dalia Abdelhady is an Associate Professor in Sociology at Lund UniversityNina Gren is a Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology at Lund UniversityMartin Joormann is a Postdoctoral Researcher in Sociology of Law at Lund University -- .
- Contributor: Dalia Abdelhady
- Imprint: Manchester University Press
- ISBN13: 9781526146830
- Number of Pages: 248
- Packaged Dimensions: 156x234mm
- Format: Hardback
- Publisher: Manchester University Press
- Release Date: 2020-10-01
- Series: Manchester University Press
- Binding: Hardback
- Biography: Dalia Abdelhady is an Associate Professor in Sociology at Lund UniversityNina Gren is a Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology at Lund UniversityMartin Joormann is a Postdoctoral Researcher in Sociology of Law at Lund University -- .
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.