The Rolls-Royce Merlin aero engine still has the power to turn heads and raise hairs on the backs of necks, for this was the heart that gave life to the famous names of Hurricane, Spitfire, Lancaster, Mosquito and Mustang. This is the inside story of the mighty Merlin, from its genesis in the 740hp PV-12 engine that was first flown in 1935, through its rapid development during the war years until in its ultimate version, the Merlin 130 series designed for the de Havilland Hornet, it produced over 2,600hp.
* Innovative extension of the Haynes aircraft manuals concept into iconic aero engines.
* The Rolls-Royce Merlin engine is probably the most famous liquid-cooled aero engine of all time.
* The Merlin engine powered the RAF's wartime Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster.
* Fully illustrated with more than 250 photos and illustrations.
* Official publication with the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust.