Russian Politics Today: (Politics Today)
Michael Waller (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 4 weeks
This introductory text, written by an established authority on communist and post-communist politics, describes how Vladimir Putin has turned to those with backgrounds in the military and security structures to provide stability in today's Russian Federation, following the democratising reforms of Gorbachev and the ensuing instability of the Yeltsin presidency. Against the background of an increasing authoritarianism, which has restored features of the Soviet political system, it examines the attempts by social and economic groups to assert themselves against the state using embryonic democratic forms that fall far short of pluralism. The book's fourteen chapters offer an exceptionally broad coverage. It will appeal to first- and second-year students in higher education, but its deliberately accessible style will also make it attractive to sixth-form students and the general reader. -- .
About the Author
Michael Waller is Professor Emeritus from the School of Politics, International Relations and the Environment (SPIRE) at Keele University -- .
- Contributor: Michael Waller
- Imprint: Manchester University Press
- ISBN13: 9780719064159
- Number of Pages: 320
- Packaged Dimensions: 156x234mm
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Manchester University Press
- Release Date: 2005-03-24
- Series: Politics Today
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Michael Waller is Professor Emeritus from the School of Politics, International Relations and the Environment (SPIRE) at Keele University -- .