The Scarborough & Pickering Railway line was opened on 16 July 1885. Having first been mooted 1848, it arrived three years after the opening of the York-Scarborough line, which branched out at Rillington and joined the hitherto independent Whitby-Pickering line. The line, however, closed in 1965, a victim of 'The Beeching Axe' and the Government's plan to substantially cut running costs and reshape the British railway system, at a time when the country's road network was growing rapidly. With its collection of 180 photographs, Scarborough & Pickering Railway Through Time brings the once busy days of the line back to life, when many thousands of holidaymakers would visit this part of the Yorkshire coast.
Robin Lidster, a native of Scarborough, is a prolific author. His previous ten titles, covering some of North Yorkshire's coastal villages and railway history, include Yorkshire Coast Lines, From Scalby to Ravenscar in Old Picture Postcards, Railway Posters of the Yorkshire Coast and Scarborough Railway Station. For the last thirty years he has been providing Victorian Magic Lantern shows for schools, museums and other organisations on subjects such as Victorian travel and early arctic exploration. Robin still lives in Scarborough.