This work is the first encyclopedia on the labor practices that constitute modern-day slavery-and the individuals and organizations working today to eradicate them.
* 450 entries on slavery practices and antislavery efforts, with coverage of Anti-Slavery International (ASI), Kevin Bales, the Bonded Labor Liberation Front (BLLF), debt bondage, the Laogai system, and more
* 125 expert contributors from around the world, many among them key players in the fight to stop slave practices
* 60 primary source documents, including official United Nations documents, antislavery legislation from various nations, and brief autobiographical accounts
* A chronology highlighting the key events in the development of modern-day slavery
* Maps, including a global map showing where modern-day slavery persists, and maps of various "hot spots", including Sudan, Mauritania, Pakistan, China, etc.
* An exhaustive bibliography guiding readers to the available literature on contemporary slavery