If you are interested in a career in teaching but not sure where to start, this book is the perfect guide. Written for anybody considering taking an initial teacher training course, this down-to-earth book is a straightforward and very helpful manual which will take you through all the stages of choosing a course, preparing for training and completing the course itself. It is a comprehensive and supportive guide to help you decide whether teaching is the career for you, and to what you can expect in the job.
- What is a teacher?
- The good news about teaching - working with children
- Routes to qualified teacher status and how to choose the right one for you
- Help with study skills, including essay writing, organisation and record-keeping
- How to survive your teaching placements
- Developing your professionalism
- Coping with the bad news - teacher workload, bureaucracy and stress
- How to get your first job
Written in an engaging and humorous - but above all, supportive - style, the book is essential pre-course reading for prospective student teachers.