Healthy food on a sensible budget is important to many of us today but in Southern Italy, la cucina povera has been a philosophy for generations.
These are delicious, filling recipes that will become family favourites in your own home, such as:
* Antipasti - traditional starters, cured meats with bread and vegetables in oil.
* Slow cooked meals such as ragu - a delicious tomato based sauce with meat.
* Stuffed peppers, using stale bread and herbs to fill peppers prior to baking.
* Mussels in a tomato and white wine sauce.
* Pork cotolette, pork escalopes covered in egg and seasoned breadcrumbs, flash fried.
* And a range of fabulous desserts for when we want a sweet treat - smooth panna cotta with berries and tasty tiramisu.
It's not just about the food; it's about the whole ethos of Italian family life. This books shows you how to be creative with what's available to you and gives you an incredibly healthy way to live and enjoy food with family and friends.
Carmela Sophia Sereno is a mother of four and is of Italian origin. Her family is from Southern Italy and the recipes in this book are influenced by the teachings of her mother and grandmother - but always with her own flavoursome individuality running through them. A former estate agent and health practitioner, Carmela plucked up the courage to make her passion for food her career and launched her own cookery school. Her business, Carmela's Kitchen, has grown from strength to strength over the last few years and, what started out as a radio slot and teaching from her family kitchen, has blossomed into a growing business offering large scale demonstrations and events, radio shows, individual private tuition, consultancy, children's cookery classes and a guest cookery teacher at various locations. For more information, visit www.carmelas-kitchen.co.uk.