Spider McDrew gets the chance to play for the Parkfield school football team, in the end-of-season cup draw. As usual though, things are not plain sailing for Spider who lets his side down by giving away a crucial penalty kick. Poor Spider is a pitiful sight as he stands on the touchline all alone. Then, he is asked to take one last corner kick.
* Topaz/ Band 13 books offer longer and more demanding reads for children to investigate and evaluate.
* Text type - A humorous story with a familiar setting.
* A reader response page provides lots of opportunities for speaking and listening and scaffolding writing.
* Curriculum links - ICT: Combining text and graphics; PSHE: Developing good relationships.
* This is the second SpiderMcDrew tale by Alan Durant and Philip Hopman.
* This book has been quizzed for Accelerated Reader
Alan Durant is the author of several picture books including the phenomenally best-selling `Dear Tooth Fairy' for Walker Books and the fiction series `Spider McDrew' for HarperCollins. He is a tireless schools visitor, and runs successful writers' workshops for children at all the major festivals. Alan lives with his wife and three children in New Malden, Surrey.