Physical education is an important part of the primary curriculum and one that provides unique challenges for those involved with its teaching. This book offers a balanced and comprehensive overview of the subject, covering issues such as safe practice in PE, inclusion, subject leadership and cross-curricular approaches supported by an accessible theory-informed approach.
This second edition includes:
* Links to the new National Curriculum in England
* Each chapter mapped against the Teachers' Standards
* A new chapter on physical literacy and development in the early years and primary ages
* A new chapter on health-focused education and the contribution of PE
* Added case studies in every chapter
* Enhanced coverage of assessment in PE
This book includes a companion website with additional resources!
Dr Julia Lawrence is Subject Leader of Physical Education at Leeds Metropolitan University.
Chapter 1: Why Physical Education? Chapter 2: How Pupils Learn and Develop Chapter 3: Planning the Learning Experience Chapter 4: Developing Motor Competences Chapter 5: Developing Knowledge, Skills and Understanding Across Areas of Activity Chapter 6: Inclusion in Physical Education Chapter 7: Approaches to the Teaching of Physical Education Chapter 8: Safe Practice in Physical Education Chapter 9: Health and Wellbeing Chapter 10: Promoting Physical Education Across the Curriculum Chapter 11: Physical Education and the Wider Community Chapter 12: Subject Leadership in Physical Education