Teaching Reading and Phonics to Children with Language and Communication Delay is an accessible and jargon-free book full of practical ideas for teaching the first stages of reading and phonics to children who have speech and language delay. Written by a bestselling author, this invaluable toolkit covers approaches to the teaching of reading for a variety of needs so that no child is left behind.
* a wide range of practical activities
* useful checklists at the end of each chapter for assessing progress and further planning
* links to example photo books to demonstrate how reading can be personalised and interactive
* tips for teaching reading and motivating children in their learning
* template material which can be photocopied and downloaded as eResources
Packed with helpful illustrations and examples that can be used in lessons, this book offers a variety of methods of teaching reading, including an emphasis on visual strategies which are well suited to children with language delay and complex communication needs. Clear explanations and step-by-step instructions mean the book can be used by parents as well as non-specialist teachers and teaching assistants, and the book will be ideal reading for any educators working with young children to improve their literacy.
Charlotte Lynch is a support and advisory teacher for deaf children with many years' experience of teaching children with a wide range of communication needs. She is the author of Early Communication Skills.
Pre-reading skills Recognition of early words in print Personalised Photo books Story books as reading focus Reading schemes and high frequency words Teaching phonics using visual methods Comprehension and inference Creating an individual reading programme