Produced in association with the ASE, the series provides new ideas and promotes best practice to enhance teaching skills, supporting everyone from NQTs to experienced science teachers.
- Provide tips on how to pitch your lessons to build on students' previous knowledge.
- Suggest teaching sequences with activities to cover the basic science and to develop the students' understanding of the topic.
- Offer guidance on students' misconceptions, common problems with individual activities and safety issues.
- Include examples that relate science to everyday contexts and provide new ideas for
- Recommend ways of using ICT in the classroom effectively.
This books draw on the experience of a wide range of teachers and those involved in science education. It has been produced as part of the Association for Science Education's commitment to supporting science teachers by disseminating best practice and new ideas to enhance teaching.
All the contributors are experienced science educators, including classroom teachers and teacher trainers.
1 Key concepts in chemistry 2 Introducing particle theory 3 Introducing chemical change 4 Developing models of chemical bonding 5 Extent, rates and energetics of chemical change 6 Acids and alkalis 7 Combustion and redox reactions 8 Electrolysis, electrolytes and galvanic cells 9 Inorganic chemical analysis 10 Organic chemistry and the chemistry of natural products 11 Earth science 12 Chemistry in the secondary curriculum