Providing a gateway into the real literature emerging from the Middle East, this book shows teachers how to make the topic authentic, powerful, and relevant. Teaching the Literature of Today's Middle East:
* Introduces teachers to this literature and how to teach it
* Brings to the reader a tremendous diversity of teachable texts and materials by Middle Eastern writers
* Takes a thematic approach that allows students to understand and engage with the region and address key issues
* Includes stories from the author's own classroom, and shares student insight and reactions
* Utilizes contemporary teaching methods, including cultural studies, literary circles, blogs, YouTube, class speakers, and film analysis
* Directly and powerfully models how to address controversial issues in the region
Written in an open, personal, and engaging style, theoretically informed and academically smart, highly relevant across the field of literacy education, this text offers teachers and teacher-educators a much needed resource for helping students to think deeply and critically about the politics and culture of the Middle East through literary engagements.
Allen Webb is Professor of English Education and Postcolonial Studies at Western Michigan University.
Preface Acknowledgments Special Acknowledgments 1. Cultural and Religious Contexts: Teaching About Abraham, Blain H. Auer 2. The Theme of Justice 3. Muslim Women in the Middle East 4. A New High School Social Studies Class: The Middle East, Beginning with Turkey, Monica Mona Eraqi 5. Europe and America in the Middle East: Colonialism, Neo-Colonialism, Intervention, Terrorism, and War 6. Imbedded: Teaching the Iraq War, Jeffrey A. Paterson 7. Teaching the Palestine/Israel Conflict 8. Teaching Moroccan Literature of Migration, David Alvarez 9. Literature by and about Muslim and Middle Eastern Immigrants in the West 10. Teaching Muslim Students 11. Reading and Teaching Literature in Translation, Vivan Steemers 12. Connecting British and American Literature to the Middle East Conclusion Contributors Bibliography