The Chinese People at War: Human Suffering and Social Transformation, 1937-1945 (New Approaches to Asian History)
Diana Lary (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 2 weeks
Diana Lary, one of the foremost historians of the period, tells the tragic history of China's War of Resistance and its consequences from the perspective of those who went through it. Using archival evidence only recently made available, interviews with survivors, and extracts from literature, she creates a vivid and highly disturbing picture of the havoc created by the war, the destruction of towns and villages, the displacement of peoples, and the accompanying economic and social disintegration. As the author suggests in this 2010 interpretation of modern Chinese history, far from stemming the spread of communism from the USSR, which was the Japanese pretext for invasion, the horrors of the war, and the damage it created, nurtured the Chinese Communist Party and helped it to win power in 1949. 7 Maps; 19 Halftones, unspecified
About the Author
Diana Lary is Professor Emerita in the Department of History at the University of British Columbia. She has spent many years working on modern Chinese history, teaching the subject to thousands of students and writing or editing six books and numerous articles.
- Contributor: Diana Lary
- Imprint: Cambridge University Press
- ISBN13: 9780521144100
- Number of Pages: 246
- Packaged Dimensions: 150x226x13mm
- Packaged Weight: 340
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Release Date: 2010-07-26
- Series: New Approaches to Asian History
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Diana Lary is Professor Emerita in the Department of History at the University of British Columbia. She has spent many years working on modern Chinese history, teaching the subject to thousands of students and writing or editing six books and numerous articles.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.