The Creatures at the Absolute Bottom of the Sea: (UAP - The Alaska Literary Series)
Rosemary McGuire (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 4 weeks
A man witnesses a tragic accident that calls his own life into question. A young woman meets her high school sweetheart after many years and seeks to make sense of the separate paths they've taken. A soldier home from Iraq tries to rebuild his life in a remote Alaskan village. These are fishing stories, told as such stories are meant to be: simple, often coarse, and tinged with the elemental beauty of the sea. They reflect rugged lives lived on the edge of the ocean's borders, where grief and grace ride the same waves. Rosemary McGuire, a fisherman herself, captures the essential humanity at the heart of each tale. No one comes through unscathed, but all retain a sense of hope and belief in earthly miracles, however humble. A dazzling debut, The Creatures at the Absolute Bottom of the Sea will leave readers with a sense of the fragility and beauty inherent in eroded lives spent in proximity to danger.
About the Author
Rosemary McGuire has been working as a commercial fisherman for fourteen years. She has worked in Antarctica and in field camps across Alaska and has traveled most of Alaska's river systems by canoe.
- Contributor: Rosemary McGuire
- Imprint: University of Alaska Press
- ISBN13: 9781602232594
- Number of Pages: 160
- Packaged Dimensions: 15x23x1mm
- Packaged Weight: 255
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: University of Alaska Press
- Release Date: 2015-03-06
- Series: UAP - The Alaska Literary Series
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Rosemary McGuire has been working as a commercial fisherman for fourteen years. She has worked in Antarctica and in field camps across Alaska and has traveled most of Alaska's river systems by canoe.