This story with a familiar setting is about Lenny's family who go to the local park to fly his new kite. Lenny takes great care to hold on to his kite, but then Mum has a turn. She holds on tightly too, but trips over the dog, and falls into the pond. The other children try to help, so they all arrive home soaking wet and muddy!
* Yellow/Band 3 books offer varied sentence structure and natural language.
* Text Type - A story with a familiar setting.
* The storyboard on pages 14 and 15 provides an opportunity for children to retell the story in their own words.
* Curriculum links - Science: pushes and pulls.
* This story is paired with a non-fiction book on the same theme: The Wind by Monica Hughes (Band 3/Yellow).
* This book has been levelled for Reading Recovery.
Julie is a children's author. She was born in Kingston upon Thames in England and moved to Australia with her family when she was just a baby. They lived in Australia for three years before returning to England. As a child Julie loved to read. She always had her nose in a book and NEVER left the house without one. While Julie was at college she worked in shops, pubs and even on a mushroom farm! Julie later became a teacher but left teaching to become a mum and author.