Trainees in all mental health professions need basic knowledge of the key therapeutic approaches in counselling and psychotherapy. The Pocket Guide to Therapy is therefore the essential companion, placing specific emphasis on practical application to guide the reader in the 'how to' of conducting each therapeutic model.
Approaches covered include established models such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, narrative therapies such as Systemic Therapy and Solution-Focussed Brief Therapy, and more recent additions to mainstream therapy such as Mindfulness and Narrative Therapy. Each chapter is written by an up-and-coming name in the field of counselling and psychotherapy, offering a unique insight into the challenges and possibilities of training in each model. The book:
- includes case examples from a wide range of mental health care settings
- is embedded with extensive pedagogy, including worksheets, sample questions and diagrams
- highlights the challenges, strengths and weaknesses of each approach
- details the background to each model
- focuses on the practical application of therapeutic models
- discusses evidence-based practice and outcomes
Written in language familiar to first-year trainees and using a range of features to enhance learning, this pocket guide is ideal for those embarking on mental health training across counselling, psychotherapy, psychology, health, nursing and social work.
It will also serve as a reference point for more experienced readers looking to refresh their understanding of other approaches.