An updated edition from expert crossword setter and experienced tutor, Tim Moorey, including 24 brand-new annotated practice crosswords.
Cryptic crosswords are no longer the preserve of the elite: in this easy-to-use guide, Tim demonstrates that anyone who enjoys words and word play can learn to solve a cryptic crossword clue.
With clear pictorially presented explanations for many clues, you can revel in the deep satisfaction that comes from finishing cryptic crossword puzzles.
Designed to apply to the solving of any cryptic crossword, this book develops and expands Tim's first book, How to Master The Times Crossword, and is designed to guide the cryptic crossword beginner to an enriched solving experience.
* 24 clearly annotated practice puzzles from different newspaper and magazine sources
* Many new hints and tips to help every solver
* Greatly expanded lists e.g. of those all-important abbreviations you should know
* 10 top tips from a champion solver on how to tackle a typical daily cryptic
* Up-to-date sections on the latest help available online eg smartphone and tablet apps
* In-depth and clear explanations of every clue and puzzle answer
* Suitable for children as an introduction to cryptics
For over 20 years, Tim Moorey has been teaching children and adults of all abilities how to solve cryptics. This experience is the proven basis for the teaching methods used in this book. Tim has been solving cryptic crosswords for over 60 years. His setting career started when he submitted puzzles to the London Evening News. Tim joined The Sunday Times team in 1991 and now sets crosswords as Mephisto and Howzat in various publications. He is Clue Judge for the Times Crossword Club and has won the monthly Observer Azed contest many times and been joint winner in the annual competition twice. Tim runs crossword workshops for solvers of all abilities.