The Oxford Shakespeare
General Editor: Stanley Wells
The Oxford Shakespeare offers authoritative texts from leading scholars in editions designed to interpret and illuminate the plays for modern readers.
- A new, modern-spelling text, collated and edited from all existing printings
- Wide-ranging introduction explores the lyrical language with which Shakespeare dramatizes competing kinds of love
- Detailed performance history designed to meet the needs of theatre professionals
- On-page commentary and notes explain language, word-play, and staging
- the only edition to provide a setting of the song 'Who is Silvia?' , taken from an Elizabethan source
- Illustrated with production photographs and related art
- Full index to introduction and commentary
- Durable sewn binding for lasting use
'not simply a better text but a new conception of Shakespeare'
ABOUT THE SERIES: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the widest range of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, helpful notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
Roger Warren is the editor of the Oxford Shakespeare editions of Cymbeline, Pericles, Henry VI, Part 2 and (with Stanley Wells) Twelfth Night in Oxford World's Classics. He works extensively in the professional theatre, often in collaboration with Peter Hall.