Publisher's Note: Products purchased from 3rd Party sellers are not guaranteed by the Publisher for quality, authenticity, or access to any online entitlements included with the product.
Therapeutic Exercise for Physical Therapist Assistants is the first and only textbook that offers the training you need to fulfill your responsibilities as a physical therapist assistant. This book gives you the knowledge and skills to effectively implement patient treatment plans using therapeutic exercise techniques that you administer under the direction of a physical therapist.
Detailed descriptions are provided for the gamut of therapeutic exercises, including range of motion, stretching, open chain resistance training, plyometrics, and functional return. You learn the purpose, position, and procedure for each technique for a complete understanding of how to guide patients in performing these exercises.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
* Three New Chaptershave been added:
o Joint Mobilization
o Therapeutic Exercise for the Preparation of Gait Activities
o Application of Therapeutic Exercise Using Sample Protocols
* Review Questions at the end of each chapter test your knowledge and comprehension.
* Chapter Objectives summarize key concepts at the beginning of each chapter.
* Case Studies demonstrate how the techniques presented in the text are applied to actual patients and how physical therapist assistants and physical therapists work together.
* Pediatric and Geriatric Boxes set forth recommendations for exercises that accommodate the needs of children and the elderly.
* Clinical Guidelines summarize how, why, and when to use specific techniques.
* A Glossary defines key words and concepts that you need to know.
With contributions from 26 therapeutic exercise experts, this textbook not only helps you develop the skills needed to become a physical therapist assistant, but it will also serve as a valuable on-the-job reference for many years to come.
Contributors Reviewers Preface to Third Edition Acknowledgments PART I: Foundations of Therapeutic Exercise 1. Introduction to Therapeutic Exercise 2. The Role of the Physical Therapist Assistant PART II: Mobility 3. Range of Motion 4. Joint Mobilization 5. Stretching Activities for Increasing Muscle Flexibility PART III: Strength and Power 6. Principles of Resistance Training 7. Open-Chain-Resistance Training 8. Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation 9. Closed-Kinetic-Chain Exercise 10. Plyometrics PART IV: Balance 11. Balance Training 12. Reactive Neuromuscular Training PART V: Cardiopulmonary Applications 13. Principles of Aerobic Conditioning and Cardiac Rehabilitation 14. Enhancement of Breathing and Pulmonary Function PART VI: Functional Progression in Therapeutic Exercise 15. Functional Progression for the Spine 16. Functional Progression for the Extremities PART VII: Unique Applications of Therapeutic Exercise 17. Aquatic Therapy 18. Therapeutic Exercise for the Preparation of Gait Activities 19. Principles of Contextual Fitness and Function for Older Adults 20. Application of Therapeutic Exercise using Sample Protocols Glossary Index