One of the clearest and most straightforward texts ever published, Understanding Mechanics covers all the topics required in the single-subject A Level.
It is equally appropriate for those preparing for other Mathematics examinations at A Level and for students on technical courses in further and higher education.
* Principles are introduced in a simple and direct manner and all have worked examples
* Ample opportunity is given for practice with questions and exercises carefully graded to provide a steady progression
* Each chapter closes with a comprehensive selection of recent examination questions
* Answers are given at the back of the book
1. Vectors ; 2. Distance, velocity and acceleration ; 3. Force and Newton's laws ; 4. Resultants and components of forces ; 5. Equilibrium and acceleration under concurrent forces ; 6. Friction ; 7. Moments ; 8. Centre of gravity ; 9. General equilibrium of a rigid body ; 10. Resultant velocity and relative velocity ; 11. Work, energy and power ; 12. Projectiles ; 13. Circular motion ; 14. Momentum and impulse ; 15. Elasticity ; 16. Use of calculus ; 17. Simple harmonic motion ; 18. Compound bodies and frameworks