Views from the Inside: Czech Underground Literature and Culture (Modern Czech Classics 2nd Revised edition)
Martin Machovec (Contributor)
From political novels to surrealist poetry and censored rock and roll, Czech underground culture of the later twentieth century displayed an astonishing, and unheralded, variety. This fascinating exploration of that underground movement the historical, sociological, and psychological background that gave rise to it; the literature, music, and arts that comprised it; and its more recent incorporation into the mainstream draws on the voices of scholars and critics who themselves played an integral role in generating it. Featuring the writings of Czech poet Ivan Martin Jirous, philosopher-poet Egon Bondy, and writer Jachym Topol, as well as Canadian expat and translator Paul Wilson many of which have never before been available in English in addition to an expanded bibliography reflecting advances in scholarship, this second edition of Views from the Inside is both a work of literature and an eye-opening volume of criticism.
About the Author
Martin Machovec is an editor, teacher of English, literary historian and critic, and translator. He is a lecturer in the Department of Czech literature, Faculty of Philosophy, at Charles University, Prague.
- Contributor: Martin Machovec
- Imprint: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- ISBN13: 9788024635927
- Number of Pages: 130
- Packaged Dimensions: 164x210x8mm
- Packaged Weight: 126
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- Release Date: 2018-07-10
- Series: Modern Czech Classics
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Martin Machovec is an editor, teacher of English, literary historian and critic, and translator. He is a lecturer in the Department of Czech literature, Faculty of Philosophy, at Charles University, Prague.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.