Vladislav Vancura: The Heart of the Czech Avant-garde
Rajendra Anand Chitnis (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 4 weeks
This is the first major analytical study in English of the work of the leading Czech Avant-garde novelist and dramatist, Vladislav Vancura, often regarded as the greatest exponent of the Czech language in prose. In the study, Vancura's paradoxical attitude to contradictions, which he seeks simultaneously to overcome and to preserve, is used as a key to understanding his writing and its often ambivalent critical reception. His major works are considered in the context of art and medicine, Poetism and Proletarian art, Bergson and Marx, collectivism and non-conformism, judgement and forgiveness and the Renaissance and modern human being. The author seeks thus to place Vancura at the heart of Czech literature's preoccupations and aspirations in the inter-war period.
About the Author
Rajendra A. Chitnis is a senior lecturer in Czech, Slovak, and Russian literature at the University of Bristol, UK.
- Contributor: Rajendra Anand Chitnis
- Imprint: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- ISBN13: 9788024614564
- Number of Pages: 226
- Packaged Dimensions: 133x203x9mm
- Packaged Weight: 204
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- Release Date: 2007-06-01
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Rajendra A. Chitnis is a senior lecturer in Czech, Slovak, and Russian literature at the University of Bristol, UK.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.