The historic market town of Wetherby, a former staging post on the Great North Road between London and Edinburgh, lies on the banks of the River Wharfe in the centre of a triangle formed by the cities of Leeds and York and the town of Harrowgate. Wetherby has been a focal point for the area since at least 1240 when the Knights Templar obtained a Market Charter for the town. Nestling in rural countryside and yet in close proximity to Leeds, the area is ideal for commuting and the town has more than trebled in size in the last fifty years. The pace of development, mainly in housing, is such that even some of the more recent scenes in this book have or are about to be changed out of all recognition. The book will take the reader on a nostalgic trip through Wetherby's past and provide an absorbing read for those who have lived in the town and those new to the area who wish to learn more about its history.