Photos and illustrations combine to give a detailed picture of the fascinating life that goes on underground. We meet animals who live underground, see trains that travel underground and follow pipes, wires and cables from houses deep into the ground.
* Blue/ Band 4 non-fiction books use children's language patterns to give information which is supported by the illustrations and design.
* Text types - A non-chronological report.
* The cross-sectioned diagram on pages 14 and 15 allows children to recap and discuss the text.
* Curriculum links - Geography: the local area; Science: light and dark.
* This book has been levelled for Reading Recovery.
Gill Munton is an experienced editor and writer of primary school material. She has written stories for reading schemes, workbooks, short stories and a number of differentiated texts, fiction and non-fiction.