When Christians First Met Muslims: A Sourcebook of the Earliest Syriac Writings on Islam
Michael Philip Penn (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 4 weeks
The first Christians to meet Muslims were not Latin-speaking Christians from the western Mediterranean or Greek-speaking Christians from Constantinople but rather Christians from northern Mesopotamia who spoke the Aramaic dialect of Syriac. Living under Muslim rule from the seventh century to the present, Syriac Christians wrote the first and most extensive accounts of Islam, describing a complicated set of religious and cultural exchanges not reducible to the solely antagonistic. Through its critical introductions and new translations of this invaluable historical material, When Christians First Met Muslims allows scholars, students, and the general public to explore the earliest interactions between what eventually became the world's two largest religions, shedding new light on Islamic history and Christian-Muslim relations.
Also available on eBook for £18.09. Click here to purchase from Rakuten Kobo
About the Author
Michael Philip Penn is William R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of Religion at Mount Holyoke College and the author of Envisioning Islam: Syriac Christians in the Early Muslim World and Kissing Christians: Ritual and Community in the Late Ancient Church.
- Contributor: Michael Philip Penn
- Imprint: University of California Press
- ISBN13: 9780520284944
- Number of Pages: 280
- Packaged Dimensions: 140x216x15mm
- Packaged Weight: 318
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: University of California Press
- Release Date: 2015-04-07
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Michael Philip Penn is William R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of Religion at Mount Holyoke College and the author of Envisioning Islam: Syriac Christians in the Early Muslim World and Kissing Christians: Ritual and Community in the Late Ancient Church.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.