This fascinating work tells the untold story of the role of women in the Civil War, from battlefield to home front.
* 400 A-Z entries provide details on individuals, organizations, battles, and women's roles in events of the Civil War
* 12 contextual essays cover all aspects of life for women, North and South, slave and free, in the years immediately before, during, and after the Civil War
* Original documents, including letters and diaries, personalize and bring to life historical information
* A detailed chronology of Civil War events highlights those particularly affecting women
* Includes an exhaustive bibliography of primary and secondary sources