Working Class Female Students' Experiences of Higher Education: Identities, Choices and Emotions (Palgrave Studies in Gender and Education 1st ed. 2021)
Sam Shields (Author)
This book explores the experiences of working-class women undergraduates at three universities in the North of England. The author examines the women's identities, choices and emotions in relation to higher education; and how they reframe their constrained university choices to maximise their chances of academic success. Highlighting differences in working-class women's learner identities, caring commitments and quests for upwards social mobility, the book offers an understanding of working-class female student journeys and their mixture of compromise, uncertainty and hope. It will be of interest and value to scholars of working-class women students, widening participation, and sociologists of education. IX, 118 p.
About the Author
Sam Shields is Lecturer in Education at Newcastle University, UK. Her research interests include social inequalities and higher education, particularly focused on the intersection between gender and social class.
- Contributor: Sam Shields
- Imprint: Springer Nature Switzerland AG
- ISBN13: 9783030889371
- Number of Pages: 118
- Packaged Dimensions: 148x210mm
- Packaged Weight: 181
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Springer Nature Switzerland AG
- Release Date: 2022-11-11
- Series: Palgrave Studies in Gender and Education
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Sam Shields is Lecturer in Education at Newcastle University, UK. Her research interests include social inequalities and higher education, particularly focused on the intersection between gender and social class.