Returns and Requesting a Refund
Find out how to return your order and request a refund or replacement.
- Do You Extend Your Returns Policy During Christmas?
- I Bought from a WHSmith Store. What is the Returns, Exchange and Refund Policy?
- I Ordered Online from WHSmith.co.uk. What is the Returns, Exchange and Refund Policy?
- I Bought from an InMotion Store. What is the Returns, Exchange and Refund Policy?
- How Do I Return Items for a Refund?
- How Long Have I Got to Return an Unwanted Item?
- Can I Return a Faulty Item?
- How Do I Return an Item to Store?
- My Order has Arrived Incorrect or Damaged. What Do I Do?
- I Want an Exchange Rather Than a Refund. What Do I Do?
- Which Products are Excluded from the Returns Policy?
- I Ordered from One of your Partner Websites. What is there Returns Policy?
Do You Extend Your Returns Policy During Christmas?
Yes - goods purchased during November and December can be returned up to 30 days after Christmas Day. Customers must return items to store or by post by up to and including Wednesday 24th January 2024. All standard return policy requirements apply - a valid receipt or gift receipt will be required. This policy is valid for all stores and online purchases that would normally be included in our returns policy.
I Bought from a WHSmith Store. What is the Returns, Exchange and Refund Policy?
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if for any reason you are not, simply return it to us within 30 days of purchase in its original condition and packaging, with your receipt, and we will gladly find you a replacement or refund your money.
Gift Cards: The only exception to this is Gift Cards as WHSmith High Street Limited acts as the agent for the third party participating retailers in the sale of Gift Card products. Therefore, any customer queries after purchase must be directed to the relevant participating retailers. Gift Card products can be purchased with WHSmith Giftcards, cash or credit/debit cards only. Multi-retailer vouchers/cards cannot be used to purchase these products. The WHSmith returns, exchange and refund policy does not apply to these products. Expiration of all Gift Card products varies. Please check individual Gift Cards for expiration date.
This is in addition to your statutory rights.
I Ordered Online from WHSmith.co.uk. What is the Returns, Exchanges and Refund Policy?
UK consumers and consumers from the rest of the European Union have the right to cancel contracts for the purchase of items within fourteen (14) calendar days of the day after receipt of the ordered goods. We offer an extended cooling off period of 30 calendar days after receipt of the ordered goods (exclusions apply).
You can cancel your contract at any time up to 30 calendar days starting the day after delivery. To do this, please return your item(s) to us by post or to a WHSmith highstreet store. Unwanted products should be returned unopened in their original, sealed and undamaged packaging so that they are fit resale.
All refunds are processed within 24 hours of us receiving the item. Please allow 2-3 business days for it to show in your account.
- Return to store: Return the item to a WHSmith High Street store along with the email we sent you when we dispatched it. Refunds are only made onto the card that made the original payment, not in cash. PayPal payments are refunded to your payment card. Items paid for by Laybuy cannot be returned to store.
- Return by post: The return is at your own risk and at your own cost and we will not refund your costs in returning the item to us and other services provided to you in connection with the purchase such as recorded or courier delivery. Include the reason for the return, your order number and your email address or telephone number. We may withhold refund until the item(s) are returned (or evidence of return is provided by you). Items should be appropriately packaged to prevent risk of damage.
- Items over 1m long: If you wish to return an item over 1m long please contact us to arrange collection.
- Items under warranty: Items covered by a warranty should be returned directly to the manufacturer.
For orders of £150 and above: please contact Customer Services for a reference number. Orders of this value cannot be returned to stores, customer services will advise on a location for you to send your item to. Please note without a reference number your item will be returned to you and a refund will not be processed.
If you fail to return the goods, we are entitled to collect them, and charge you the direct cost of collection. If you fail to take reasonable care of the goods before they are returned to us, and this results in damage or deterioration, we will charge you for the reduction in value.
This cancellation policy does not affect your legal rights - for example, if goods are faulty or misdescribed.
Faulty, Incorrect or Defective Items
If you are sending something back that's faulty or incorrect due to our error, we will refund the return postage costs to your payment card, but not in other circumstances.
If the item is not working, refer to any warranty information relating to it. It may be quicker for you to get a replacement product direct from the manufacturer rather than by returning it to us.
You should inspect any product(s) you purchase from the website as soon as you can after delivery and notify us if you consider they are defective as soon as possible. If a product is incorrect, faulty or defective you are entitled to either:
- During the first 30 days after the delivery date, you can ask us to reimburse the price paid for the relevant product(s) to the credit, or debit or gift card used to purchase the goods.
- During the first 6 months after the delivery date, you can ask us to repair the product(s) at our own expense, or ask us to supply replacement product(s) free of charge.
- After 6 months you should check whether your item is under warranty. You can contact the manufacturer directly if your item is covered.
You have statutory rights against us and any warranty applicable to an item is additional to those rights. You can also obtain free legal advice on your statutory rights in relation to faulty or misdescribed goods from Trading Standards (via Citizens advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506) or your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Our Customer Service Team will also be able to advise you.
I Bought from an InMotion Store. What is the Returns, Exchange and Refund Policy?
If you purchased an item from one of our InMotion stores in the UK, you can return your item within 30 days in its unopened and sealed packaging, along with your receipt. All you need to do is contact our Customer Service team at email@example.com. Our Customer Service team will be happy to guide you through the process to return your item to any InMotion or WHSmith store worldwide!
- Our returns policy applies to items sold in UK and European InMotion stores and on www.uk.inmotionstores.com
- We will accept returns of unopened 'as new' items and faulty items only, except in Heathrow Airport where Heathrow's Returns Promise applies
- Returns period for change of mind is 30 days from the date of purchase
- Returns period for faulty products is 6 months from the date of purchase. This does not affect a customer's statutory rights
- Returns must be accompanied by a receipt, unless faulty, where a bank statement will suffice
- Returns will be processed by the UK Customer Service team for any items purchased in the UK, Online or Europe
- All returns will be validated by Customer Service before the refund is made
- The cost of returning faulty items to Customer Service will be covered by InMotion. Change of mind returns must be funded by the customer
- Refunds will be via original pay method if possible
- Returns will be accepted on Ex-Demo or Ex-Display items even where they are unboxed, provided the receipt indicates the item is Ex-Demo or Ex-Display
How Do I Return Items for a Refund?
Within 30 calendar days of receipt you can either return items to WHSmith high street stores or by post. Bring the item to any WHSmith high street store along with your order dispatch email. Refunds are made onto your card, not in cash. PayPal payments are refunded to your payment card. Orders paid for with Laybuy can only be returned by post and cannot be returned to stores.
Or post the item back to us at the address printed on the delivery note included with your order.
For items returned by post:
- The items must be in the original condition and packaging with any security seals intact
- Repackage the products securely and send to the address printed on the delivery note
- Include the reason for the return, the invoice number and your email address or telephone number.
For items over 1m long (such as furniture) please contact us to arrange collection as these cannot be returned to stores.
How Long Have I Got to Return an Unwanted Item?
You have 30 calendar days after delivery to return an item for a refund.
Can I Return a Faulty Item?
If an item is not working, refer to any warranty information relating to it. It may be quicker for you to get a replacement product direct from the manufacturer rather than by returning to us.
If you are sending something back that is faulty or incorrect due to our error then we will refund your postage costs to the card you paid with.
How Do I Return an Item to Store?
Most items bought from WHSmith.co.uk can be returned to any of our high street stores. This excludes WHSmith concessions and stores in airports, railway stations, motorway services and outside the UK. Orders paid for by Laybuy cannot be returned to store.
Large (over 1m long) and heavy items such as furniture cannot be returned to stores, and you will need to call our customer services team to arrange collection. If you are unsure then please contact us before attempting to return to store.
Please be aware that some items, such as magazine subscriptions, cannot be returned. Read our full list of Exclusions here.
My Order has Arrived Incorrect or Damaged. What Do I Do?
You can request a refund within 14 working days after the item was delivered. Return it to us within 14 days of receipt for a full refund or exchange. Keep any warranty information.
If you are sending something back that's faulty or incorrect due to our error we'll refund your postage costs to the card you paid with.
I Want an Exchange Rather Than a Refund. What Do I Do?
We ask you to place a new order for the item. We'll refund you for the original item and then charge you for the replacement when we're ready to send it out.
Which Products are Excluded from the Returns Policy?
The following items cannot be returned unless the item is incorrect, faulty or defective:
- periodical(s) or magazine(s)
- digital products such as CDs, DVDs, or computer software where the holographic seal and/or shrink-wrap has been unsealed.
- perishable goods
- magazine gift pack and experience gift packs which have been activated.
- Gift cards and vouchers including, but not limited to WHSmith Gift vouchers and Apple iTunes Gift cards
- Digital downloads including, but not limited to, e-gift cards
I Ordered From One of Your Partner Websites. What is Their Returns Policy?
Each of our partner sites, including FunkyPigeon.com, has their own return and refunds policy. You will need to return any items directly to them, we cannot accept these returns at WHSmith stores.
My Question is Not Answered Here. What Do I Do?
We may have the answer on another help page - you can check our FAQs here.
Still need help? Contact our Customer Services team